Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chapter 22- Renaissance and Mannerism in Cinquecento Italy (post 2)

Sofonisba Anguissola, Portrait of the Artist's Sisters and Brother, 1555. Renaissance Great Britain.
Anguissola's portrait of her siblings really stood out to me among the others. I especially love the adolescent animation and innocence of the painting. Her painting also seems to be one of the first that I've seen where the characters clearly have individualized features, even though it is just as evident through their individual faces− that the children are related. I also liked that the painted siblings were not positioned in the typical, frontal positions, but each had different focal points where their eyes realistically corresponded with the direction that each was facing. The different positions, I believe, helped to further individualize the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment